Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Travel safety: Keep your mouth shut and your door closed


Safety check: Travel in control (illustration: Paul A. Jackson)

 By Jane Lasky

My Mom always thought I have been cavalier when it comes to safety. She was constantly quizzing me, especially when I was about to travel.

"Did you lock your suitcase?" she'd query if I talk to her when I have finished packing.

"Are you wearing your seat belt?" she'd ask if I phone from the plane before takeoff.

"Did you lock your door, dear?" she'd say when I call from my hotel room after checking in.

Brother.

I appreciated her concern, but as an aging woman who travels consistently for work it was difficult to be treated like a 6-year- old who has never crossed the road by herself. It made me testy.

Still, regarding travel safety, Mom was right. You can't be too careful.

That said, following are some other items worth considering in order to stay safe while you travel:

+ When you are holed up in a hotel, make use of a safe (such an appropriate term!) to store your valuables. Almost every hotel I've stayed in during the past few years has afforded me a mini-safe in my assigned room that is easy to operate and convenient to use. Stash your laptop, important documents, jewelry, extra credit cards and some cash there.

+ Determine how safe the neighborhood is that surrounds your hotel before you venture out and about. Ask the concierge if he or she can tell you of any pitfalls and request a route to walk that won't have you looking over your shoulder with every step you take. If the neighborhood is questionable, take a cab.

+ Never open your hotel room to a stranger. If you get a knock at the door, even one you are expecting, look through the keyhole to see who is there. If there is no keyhole, get a verbal identification before unlocking the door.

+  Keep your big mouth shut. Although staff members at conscientious hotels are taught not to share a guest's room number, you should also remember to keep that information to yourself. Don't use a house phone in a public place to tell someone to meet you in room 333. Also, don't hand over your car keys to a valet while declaring the exact location of your room.

+ Before you fall asleep in an unfamiliar environment, put your keys, eyeglasses and a small flashlight within arm's reach. It's always good to know where to find these necessities should an emergency occur.



1 comment:

  1. Traveling to a new destination is exciting. At the same time, one should be aware of things around during travel. These travel safety tips would be very useful.

    ReplyDelete