
By Jane Lasky
Since the holidays are coming and since my son's college roommate is a devoted Anglophile, I asked Mike what he wanted from London. Without hesitation, he asked for tea from Harrod's food hall, so now I have a good excuse to go to that fabulous emporium for some shopping.
Meanwhile, I have been at a loss as to what to take from here to my friend over there. I wanted the gift to be special (we have been working together for more than 20 years), but I didn't want to try and wow him like I once did because that turned into a disaster.
That December, I took music-loving Richard an iPod. He did not open the gift in front of me, but the next day he would hardly look my way while we talked turkey. Apparently, I had gone overboard on his present. Whereas a nice set of coasters or a yearly diary would have done just fine, my more extravagant gift was seen as pretentious.
Well, I tried, and I did learn my lesson.
After much deliiberation, this December I decided to take Richard a space pen. It's small, it's understated and it writes even when you're lying down and when you're underwater.
That said, following are some rights and wrongs for holiday gift giving in Europe:
+ In Austria: Perfume is an unacceptable present. Instead, offer a bottle of brandy or a box of chocolates.
+ In Belgium: Forget fine jewelry or anything else extravagant. Books on art or travel in the U.S. are much appreciated.
+ In Denmark: Do not offer any sharp items or anything lavish. Rather, give a token gift incorporating your company's logo or a good bottle of red wine.
+ In Finland: Forget about potted plants. Instead, bring a bottle of cognac or a piece of American art.
+ In France: Stay away from giving wine of any color. A better choice is a beautifully packaged and carefully wrapped box of quality American candy.
+ In Germany: Do not present an umbrella or a pair of scissors, as these sharp objects are considered unlucky. Do give a CD of classical music or a good bottle of bourbon.
+ In Greece: Only present a bottle of wine if it is of very high quality. Otherwise, don't bother.
+ In Ireland: Pass up anything ostentatious. Instead, give a desk accessory, a tie or a scarf.
+ In the Netherlands: An unacceptable present is anything that would be considered practical. An acceptable present is anything arty that had been made in America (such as a pretty paperweight).
+ In Spain: Give something sweet such as a box of pastries or a cake.
+ In Sweden: Give a gift representative of your own country. For instance, choose an American travel book or a classic American film on DVD.
+ In Turkey: Steer clear of alcohol. Rather, pick an American item that is not too personal (maple syrup from Vermont or wild rice from Minnesota are good gifts).
Illustration above: Bing clip art, public domain
No comments:
Post a Comment