By Jane Lasky
I was psyched.
My assignment was to research the best hotels and smartest shops in Paris.
What hotel/shopaholic could ask for anything more?
Unfortunately, reality set in not too long after I checked into The Crillion, perhaps Paris's ritziest hotel.
I didn't even wait to unpack; I had my bags sent up to my suite so I would not waste another minute. Within seconds, I was walking to the St. Germain, ready to shop, shop, shop -- all in the interest of research, of course. I checked out each boutique, mentally taking notes about the items that I would buy could I afford to pay for them.
Finally, at Hermes, business was about to become pleasure. I couldn't resist the temptation to buy a gorgeous silk scarf from that famous French company. OK, $300 is a lot to pay for an adornment that ties around your neck -- but how nice it would be to remember Paris every time I wore it and someone admired it.
I lovingly handed my chosen scarf and my gold Visa card to the gleeful saleswoman.
But as she readied my purchase, her smile was suddenly replaced by a scowl. She cut the procedure short. Clutching the Hermes scarf far beyond my reach, she haughtily told me that I had exceeded my credit limit.
I was in shock. Knowing I had a $10,000 limit and rarely used the card, I tried to explain that there must be some mistake. But the saleswoman told me there was no mistake. Turning on her heel, she ignored me as I practically crawled out of the store.
My shopping expedition cut short by sheer embarrassment, I walked back to The Crillion. I had to clear up the matter as soon as possible. Even the sight of my enchanting suite with its marble bath and roaring fireplace could not placate me. A collect call to the States was the only thing on my mind.
That call cleared up my confusion and taught me an important lesson.
It seems that the gold card I used for check-in at the hotel was the same one rejected at the Hermes store. The hotel's policy is to block enough charges to cover double my week's stay -- in this case thousands of dollars -- rendering that credit card useless until I settled with the hotel upon check-out.
To avoid this predicament on future trips, I never leave home without my American Express card (and no preset credit limit) since that way I can use it whenever I check into a hotel, with a second card in reserve for other purchases if need be.
Now all I need is another Paris assignment so I can show up at Hermes for my scarf and the chance to regain a little of the dignity I lost there on my previous visit.
No comments:
Post a Comment